Timings Estimates for Te Mata – Papakai Track, Auckland Hiking Group.
- On the trail by 10:25 a.m. (One or two car load of passengers get slightly lost)
- Reach first major junction at 11:35 a.m. (Just before the next set of hill climbs)
- Reach next major junction at 1:30 p.m. (after the last significant hill climb)
- Reach Hut at 2:45 p.m. Fast group already departed 10-15 minutes earlier to explore further down the track. (That’s if some of us haven’t been told to wait because we’re too slow at the earlier junction)
- Depart Lunch Spot at 2:55 p.m. (Returning back) Give my car key to the fastest passenger.
- Reach first Junction at 4:20 p.m. Concerned about day light, some of us start slow jogging parts of the section.
- Reach second major junction at 5:50 p.m. Starting to get dark. Stragglers (probably me included) get told to hurry up if we haven’t already earlier on.
- Reach cars around 6:40 p.m. In Darkness. (Jogged part way)
Drive home, drop people off and arrive home on or just before 10:00 p.m. Shower, sleep and snore.
More pessimistic than ‘Official’ timings, But I feel is not without merit and will be interesting to see how close I was. Even then, I think the above timings are a little bit optimistic. Finishing time I believe will actually be closer to 7:00 p.m. or a touch past that.